Trends in women’s fashion come and go, but there are some that never go out of style. Granted, some styles can come back, years and even decades later, but some basics are classic fashion year after year: a little black dress, the turtleneck, a trench coat, trousers, the sheath dress.
Because these fashions never go out of style, you can afford to splurge a little and get a good quality piece. The fun thing is that you can take these classics and mix them with the current trends for a fashionable and contemporary outfit.
1. The little black dress: Coco Chanel created this versatile dress in the 1920s. But, Audrey Hepburn put this fashion “do” on the map as Holly Golightly in an elegant Givenchy number in the movie “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”. With a simple black dress as your canvas, you can add color and current fashion trends with your accessories.
2. A great pair of calf-high boots: In black or brown, this boot is timeless and versatile. It can be worn with jeans, trousers, skirts and dresses (no matter what the hemline is doing this season). Yes, boot trends come and go- this year the ankle boot and the knee-high slouch boot are in. Next year…who knows. But the classic calf-high boot can always be found in stores. You can find them in every heel height, so pick what is most comfortable for you.
3. A basic trench coat: Again, in a nice black, camel or chocolate brown, the trench coat is a classic. Unlike some of the coat and jacket trends of late, not only does the style have staying power, but it fits any shape and size. It goes with every occasion – from the office to a night out. Dress it up with a trendy scarf and gloves or a bright handbag.
4. The sheath dress: With this one, you can combine two must-have’s, if you get a little black sheath dress. If you want some color, go with a basic color like red or navy. Because they are not trendy kooky colors, they should carry you from year to year. You can also have fun with the fabric by going with a satin or bamboo, the hottest trend in fabric right now for its “green” appeal. Put some kicky ankle boots with it or a trendy wrap so you’ll still look like its 2008.
5. A good pair of trousers: This is essential for any work wardrobe. Face it – it is not often appropriate to wear some of the latest trends in pants wear to the office. Have some basic trousers in a gray, black or brown tailored to fit you. You can trend it up for 2008 with a plaid coat or a funnel neck sweater in the burnt orange, one of the season’s hot colors.
The point here is that there are some items you want to spend a little more money on because they are timeless. You do not want to spend a lot of money on a trendy item that will sit in the closet or the jewelry box after one season.In five years, you’ll probably dig it out and put in a yard sale, getting only get a fraction of what you paid for it. Shop the discount and wholesale stores for the trendiest fall fashions. Take your hard earned money and splurge on the classics.